Butternut Squash & Sage Soup with Ryvita Croutons
The tasty way to warm up - served with crunchy Ryvita croutons.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
3 onions, chopped
2 tbsp chopped sage
1-2 butternut squash, in chunks or previously cooked and scraped away from outer skin
1 tbsp clear honey
6 cups of vegetable stock
Bunch of chives, snipped
Cracked black pepper to season
- Melt the oil and butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and sage, and gently cook until really soft – this should take about 15 mins.
- When the onions are beautifully caramelised tip in the butternut squash and cook for 5 mins, stirring continually.
- Add the honey and stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender (unless was previously cooked).
- Let the soup cool a bit so you don’t burn yourself, then whizz with a hand blender until really smooth. Season to taste with black pepper; adding a drop more stock or water if the soup is too thick.
- Sprinkle with chives and crumble up your favourite Ryvita Crispbread as croutons.
- This tasty recipe will make enough soup for four.